Monday, August 6, 2012

Ran out of books (but here are the ones I read before that happened)

I was looking at books to put on hold, but nothing is catching my interest right now. I'll go look through books I own and haven't read.

Typing with this busted keyboard is annoying, so this will be brief. No real reviews. Sorry.

Gateway by Frederik Pohl
The revelation I'd had from reading a few Frederik Pohl is that his books are rather dark in a way that I would have liked more when I was younger. It's not that I don't like his books now: I really do. I just somehow get the impression that I would have appreciated his writing style more five years ago, and not because my taste has matured or anything. It's weird. I could say more about it, but like I said, I'm cutting this short. Maybe later.

Between Planets by Robert Heinlein
A classic "Heinlein juvenile" of the sort I'd already encountered on a couple of other occasions, so I knew what to expect. Actually quite good for what it is, in some sense. I was impressed, anyway. If you think you'd like to read a 1950's science fiction book written primarily for teenagers, this is probably the book I'd recommend. Also, hello, self.

Vitals by Greg Bear
Apparently this is a book in the "thriller" genre or something. I missed that, because it's by a science fiction author and is science fiction. I liked the subject matter (it's about a biotechnological conspiracy with anti-aging and mind-control technologies), but it's my least favorite Greg Bear book so far. I don't think I like "thrillers."

No comments:

Post a Comment