Saturday, January 18, 2014

January 18th post #2: Cold Copper Tears by Glen Cook

Hey, it's the first book that I've read in 2014! I picked it up because I couldn't find much else that was small enough to comfortably lug around on buses and I liked Glen Cook well enough from the Black Company novels.

Having already gone through all ten Black Company novels before reading this makes me appreciate Glen Cook's skill as a writer. Cold Copper Tears is the third volume in the Garrett, P.I. series (which currently consists of 14 books). The idea is actually pretty simple: have a detective story (in the spirit of Raymond Chandler) set in a fantasy world with magic, elves, ogres, and such. The idea is interesting enough on its own and, at least in this one book, the execution is very good.

I liked the Black Company novels, but if the other books in this series are as good as Cold Copper Tears, then I'd favor it. This is a fun, witty book. I'm eager to read the rest of the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment