Sunday, March 20, 2016

The "Garrett P.I." series by Glen Cook

Way back at the beginning of 2014, I picked up Cold Copper Tears at the library so that I'd have a book to read on the bus (I was out of school by this point, but I didn't have a car, so when I did travel anywhere, it was usually by bus). It was on a whim, because it was small enough to fit in my laptop case with my other junk, and I was curious to see some of Glen Cook's work outside the "Black Company" series. I enjoyed Cold Copper Tears and resolved to read the whole series some day. If that one book was an indication, I thought I'd like these books even more than the Black Company ones. I did see some of the later books in the series on library shelves, but the problem was finding the first entry in the series: Sweet Silver Blues.

At some point, I was going to try to borrow the books in this series that KCLS didn't have through interlibrary loan, and then I didn't. I forget what the deal was with that. Well, unrelated to all this, last year, there was some item that I wanted to buy, and none of the places I normally shop would have it. Then I used Amazon to pick up some Christmas gifts for family, and I thought, "I have money and can also order this thing I want for myself." And from there, it was another step to realizing that I could just buy old, used paperbacks of this whole series of books, and it would only be a small fraction of my total order. Yes, buying books instead of checking them out from the library. Crazy, I know. I rarely think in terms of it, but having a decent job and making money, instead of trying not to look at my pile of debt that wasn't getting any smaller, creates a contrast between my life back then and my life now. Digression. Oops.

So I bought the whole series and started it shortly after finishing Seveneves (another book that I bought). This coincided almost perfectly with the new year, although I may have started reading Sweet Silver Blues a day before or a day after January 1st. I was actually finished reading all of the books by late mid-February, but it took until now to post this because I'm lazy.

I love this series. I want to write a lot about it, but I just can't bring myself to finish long, detailed reviews of books, part of why this blog entry is so late. If I can find the time, I'll write other posts with more detail. Oh, I suppose that I should at least note the names of the books...

1. Sweet Silver Blues
2. Bitter Gold Hearts
3. Cold Copper Tears
4. Old Tin Sorrows
5. Dread Brass Shadows
6. Red Iron Nights
7. Deadly Quicksilver Lies
8. Petty Pewter Gods
9. Faded Steel Heat
10. Angry Lead Skies
11. Whispering Nickel Idols
12. Cruel Zinc Melodies
13. Gilded Latten Bones
14. Wicked Bronze Ambition

No comments:

Post a Comment