Thursday, February 23, 2017

Crap from Facebook: February 23rd, 2017

http://themuse.jezebel.com/a-frank-talk-with-jessa-crispin-about-why-modern-day-fe-1792367458

I always approach the prospect of actually writing about anything in the general sphere of feminism stuff with considerable trepidation. Becoming obsessed with this sort of thing is something I'd like to avoid, if possible. I suppose that I feel a bit guilty, like I could be turning my attention to something worthwhile, like something exciting in the sciences. It's not that I'm firmly committed to not discussing topics of this, ah, conformation. But at the very least, I've aspired to keep it toned down. For every feminism-related item that makes my "Crap from Facebook" roll, there are dozens that I mostly just ignore.

And then there's this article. Well, that's not fair. One might get the impression that I find it uniquely deplorable or something. Far from it. Timing is part of this. I don't think that anyone is still reading this blog, and even if people were, I have a well-established habit of not putting content here if I wouldn't want people to see it. VSEPR has become a sort of peculiar hybrid of something totally public and also something meant exclusively for me. Resisting any sort of analysis of feminism here has been something I have done for my own sake. In bits and pieces in conversation with other people, I have elucidated some of my thoughts relating to the morass of feminism-issues-stuff. But to actually put work into writing something substantial? When I could have spent my effort writing about something else? I'll at least say that I'm reluctant. And some day, I'll say why that is. Some day, in the near future, I want to make the post on feminism for this blog. It'll have a title like "The Feminism Post" or something like that. But I digress, dammit.

This article is different. It's not the same run-of-the-mill stuff I see on the internet when it comes to feminism. For one thing, I have to admit that Jessa Crispin is smart, which is more than I can say for the sources of most of the other crap I'm talking about. She demonstrates a level of intelligence and depth of thought sufficient for me to speak of her as an individual beyond the "this idiot it not worthy of respect" reaction that I might have in other cases. Uh, for example there was this time I wrote briefly about Lindy West writing something stupid. Lindy West is stupid, but more than that, she is stupid and also does not put very much thought into what she writes. Jessa Crispin is intelligent and also puts thought into her work. She is committed. Driven. And before I end this paragraph leaving the impression that I admire her, I should add that her philosophy is diametrically opposed to my own. I won't say that I do not respect her, but I just want to make it clear that to the extent that there is respect, it is a very particular flavor of respect. I respect her devotion to her own conviction in the same way that I might respect the strength of a large bear that is charging at me. Yes, I can be impressed, but that doesn't mean I like it.

For anyone who happens to be reading this and is a feminist (let's face it: that's no one), I do highly recommend reading that interview. I'm hoping that'll be the last time I ever link to Jezebel, but it's worth it in this case. Ask yourself if she represents you. Do you find yourself thinking, "Yes, this is how it should be. This is an accurate take on what is wrong in the world."? Or do you find her too extreme or perhaps taking things in the wrong direction? I find myself vaguely remembering something Michael Ruse said in some totally different context. When the revolution comes, I'll be sent to a reeducation camp. But you, what will happen to you? If the revolution is run by people like her, what will become of you unworthy, impure feminists?

No comments:

Post a Comment