Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Sleep (too much)

On weekends, during the summer, and generally whenever there's been an ordinary day that I haven't had school or work in the morning, I have, for the past several years, had the strange habit of sleeping in rather late whenever I'm in my own bed and getting up early whenever I happen to be sleeping anywhere else. I forget when I first noticed this, but there have been points in the past when I found it irritating. Lately, I've been pretty accepting of it, generally staying up late. But I don't sleep in because I stay up late. No matter how early I go to bed, I stay there until at least 11 in the morning if there's nothing to motivate me not to. I've sort of rationalized that I'm not a "morning person" or that I was just weird: when I do have to get up at a certain time and I set an alarm, 95% of the time I wake up right before the alarm would go off and check the clock and I don't know anyone else who does that.

Today may have been bad enough to make me do something about this crap. I woke up around 7 and, because the clock indicated that it was too early to get up, I kept trying to fall back to sleep. I would wake up, see that it was still before 11, and actively try to go to sleep, even though I wasn't really that tired. I must have done this for at least two hours. Then I woke up at about 11:30 and felt miserable. I didn't need that much sleep. It was a waste of time and I felt worse than I would have if I got up earlier. So I say enough is enough.

I've been spending most of my free time playing computer games or doing nothing of importance on the internet or whatever. Starting today (tomorrow, but whatever) I am going to get up earlier and use that extra time to do something productive. Maybe I'll update the chemistry blog or something cool like that. The point is, I am totally doing this. I resolve to, so that means I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment