Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Forward the Foundation by Isaac Asimov

To review, I read the original Foundation back in the 1990's, probably 1996 or 1997. In high school, probably in 2002 or 2003, I read the sequel, Foundation and Empire. Later, when I was going to GRCC, I read the third volume in the series, Second Foundation. I was going to say just when that was, but KCLS lost that part of my checkout history and I can't find my mention if it on Livejournal because that site sucks (I know I mentioned it because I can distinctly remember Eric commenting on the entry). This classic series, one of the most iconic works of science fiction ever, is apparently my slowest read. It didn't start out with that being any sort of goal, but now I'm almost invested in it. I read the first prequel to the series, Prelude to Foundation when I was still in high school. And this year, I read the sequel to that, Forward the Foundation. Apparently my goal is to read everything in the series by the time I'm 40. To be fair, Asimov himself wrote the original stories that made up the early Foundation novels in the 1940's and 1950's, and didn't write the books after the ones I've already read until the 1980's, so he also took his damn time about this.

And yes, this is a sequel to a prequel. It's the last volume Asimov actually wrote for the series, and was published posthumously. I was curious about it. I've been reading another, totally unrelated series and didn't want to return to this series just yet, but reading the sequel to the prequel seemed fine, so I checked it out. I mostly just wanted to fill that gap and have something to read while my next hold came in. I didn't really like Prelude to Foundation as much anyway. It was interesting, but I remembered it as not being of the same caliber as the series that it's a prequel to. I figured Forward the Foundation would be more of the same. I was in for a treat. Forward the Foundation is some of the best of the series and some of Asimov's best writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment