Saturday, February 27, 2010

For a minute there I thought I actually had a working computer...

Are you surprised that this crap isn't over? I sure am. Yes, indeed, I am shocked. I am absolutely taken aback. Didn't expect this at all. In keeping with the tradition, I can still continue to make posts here about how my "new" computer (the one that I bought more than two months ago) is still not working properly. We wouldn't want me actually able to use modern technology, after all.

So about a minute after I my last post, FedEx showed up with my computer. I opened the box, read the form that had been placed in there, plugged in the battery and AC adapter, then started using the computer. According to the form, HP had re-imaged the hard drive and either repaired or replaced the SDRAM.

I had to install some updates, so I did that. I installed Firefox and Skype, then talked to Fesler on Skype for over two hours. No sign of any problems. The computer was fixed. I continued to use it a bit, then determined that there were two things that I still needed to do as soon as I could. First, I wanted to put Windows 7 on the computer. It takes a few hours or so, and since I was going to do it anyway, I wanted to get it out of the way. I also wanted to copy many of my files from my old computer to the new one. And I wasn't sure what the fastest way to do that might be.

So I upgraded to Windows 7 and recreated my old profile that HP's re-imaging had erased (as well as deleting the "Test" profile they'd created). That was all last night. This morning, I opened the computer up, used it to check a few things online, and went to judo practice. I came back, remembered something else I wanted to do, and started using the computer again. It crashed, of course. Same old story, same old song and dance. The problem wasn't fixed at all. I had just happened not to experience it again until I'd upgraded to Windows 7 and even then not right away.

I called HP again. The guy had me open up a panel and take my memory cards out. Well, I took one of them out. We ran a diagnostic and it passed. When I took that card out and put the other one back in, I couldn't get any display to come up. I tried for a while to make sure that I'd properly inserted the memory and everything. No luck. The computer comes on, but the screen doesn't. So they are taking it back for repairs...

...again.

1 comment: